I can think of a million reasons to go natural but I know for many women, it is a big decision to make. There is certainly no time like the present, so why not make the turn of the New Year a reason to do something different such as liberating yourself and your hair by keeping it in its natural state and showing it off! Here are 10 great reasons to make the change!
1. It is your own natural hair- it is part of you and what you are born with! Learning about your own hair in some ways puts you back in tune with yourself and who you are. Black women dedicate a lot of time (and money) to their hair and put a lot of emphasis on how they feel to how their hair looks. There is nothing more liberating than learning about the natural you and not the ‘adapted-you’ that society may want you to aspire to!
2. Natural hair is easier to manage than you think. There are so many YouTube Videos that are very inspiring and give a myriad of ideas of how to style and manage your hair. Have a look at KimmayTube and Naptural85 who are my hair inspirations into evolving into the Nubian Queen I am today!
3. Hairstyles- afro hair comes in many different textures, thickness and shades. And with this diversity, there are many different styles that afro hair can be in- whether it is a twist-out, two-strand twists, flat twists and so on. You can corn-row, plait, rock as a mo-hawk or out in a full afro. You can have fun with colours, you can keep it low or let it grow! And remember, you can decide to curl your hair, blow-dry it straight and do so much more. Natural hair is one of the most versatile of hair types! That is the beauty of afro hair- no two heads look the same! Stand out and stand proud.
4. Natural Hair inpirations- there are many Black Icons who keep their hair natural and are very inspiring such as the following below. Natural hair does not have to be hidden and is very much accepted in the mainstream, so you have no excuse!
5. Save money- having natural hair saves you a lot of money! Just think, no money spent on Brazilian hair, or visiting the salon! Natural hair products are often cheap and can double up as body creams! Natural hair wins!
6. Hair growth- with natural hair, you wont have harsh chemicals or tight braids with weaves. As a result, you learn what works for your hair and hey presto- you have the hair growth that you have always wished for. Say goodbye to the sparse growth around your edges and temples! You are more likely to be gentle with your own hair and protective styling (such as tucking away your ends) will encourage less hair breakage and more growth.
7. Healthy scalp- Since not using relaxers on my hair, my scalp no longer itches or burns. You no longer will have to apply toxic chemicals to your scalp which is strong enough to melt plastic and who knows the long-term effects on your health! Hair needs to be cleansed and nourished and sometimes hair weaves and hair extensions do not allow you to do this effectively and thus your hair and scalp are prone to breakage due to infections, quite commonly due to fungus. With natural hair it is encouraged to be washed 1-2 weekly and you can manage changes to your scalp more easily.
8. Manage your own hair- becoming a naturalista means that you learn about your own hair that grows from your own head and how to manage it. Learning about how to manage your hair is liberating and is educational not only for yourself but also for your future mini-me’s you may go on to produce! No more hairdressers handling your hair with disrespect and pulling your head from east to west without any warning! You are now the master of your hair!
9. New image- Becoming a new natural means that you can revamp your image! If you change hair, why not change your style! New hair means new hair adornments, new earrings and an excuse to buy new things! Being natural does not mean you have to be over ethnocentric or become mother earth! You can be natural and modern, chic and unique! When you start discovering yourself, you will love yourself even more, and who knows, you might attract that new guy you’ve been searching for!
10. It is fun! Being natural is one of the most fun things I have ever done and it has been such a ‘natural’ transition! I have learnt and researched more about my hair, but along with this I have been inspired to learn about myself and my ancestry which has been a wonderful natural discovery!